Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Self Esteem Portraits


This lesson came to me after my Weight Watchers group asked each member to list of "20 things that I liked about myself".  I thought this would be a great exercise for my 4th grade students so I made it into an art lesson. They were to write down 20 "things" they liked about themselves inside a drawing of a head ( i gave out a template for this). They would write them in different sizes and fonts. Around the Outline of the template I gave the students a list of self esteem quotes and asked them to pick one they liked or to make up their own.  Around the outside of the head their classmates wrote things they like about that person. They were asked to put their initals next to what they wrote and not to repeat. The artwork was so powerful. I think It really got them to thing positivly about all of their great qualities. Check them out....

9 comments:

  1. Great art project. Love it! I am excited to have stumbled onto your blog. I look forward to looking at more of your past posts. I can already tell they are going to give me a lot of inspiration!
    Take care,
    Shauna
    myshaenoel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. My name is Olivia and I was wondering if you could follow my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I am a kindergarten teacher but will be giving up a prep period a week to teach art to 4th and 5 th graders next year. I really want to do this one with them. Where did you get the inspirational quotes and did they use the same one over again around the outside?
    Kraftykathy30@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have nominated your for the Liebster award! i would have e-mail you, but I can't seem to locate it on your site.
    Here is my original post
    http://themorosebee.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-liebster-award.html
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Emily
    themorosebee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did these with my students in May at a charter school and they came out so nice! thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just began this with fifth grade. Love how these kids start with, "There is nothing great about me." Then their friends start helping them with what they see. I am not sure I am going to pass it around the table for positives that another student sees, I may have to think that through with each class. Thank you for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey nice post meh, I love your style of blogging. It reminds me of an equally interesting blog on my reading list which is http://danieluyi.com.
    keep up the good work meh and don't forget to also visit my blog and drop a comment even if it's a simple "nice post" reply.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I'm a counseling intern and I'm going to use this with a group of my clients next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel so inspired by your results and can't wait to share this idea with my students.

    ReplyDelete