Sunday, March 4, 2012

4 r's...reduce, reuse, recycle and READ

Our school celebrated Read Across American with a recycle theme. Teachers decorated their doors with the books that have a message about recycling. I chimed in with a 1st grade art project that combined words that focused on sculpture using words.  To prep for the lesson first I cut 5 copies...yes 5 copies of the alphabet on oak tag from the Ellison machine (see below) and lots of news paper scraps approx 5x6 in. This was a pain but the end result great!


For the lesson I showed the students some pictures of recycled art . Then we talked about "earth words" words we think about when think about taking care of the earth.  The students worked in teams of 2 to pick a word from our list, then trace the letters and design the letters with lines and shapes using only blue, green and brown markers. They then used tacky glue to glue them on sticks. I did the tying of the raffia. I was very pleased with the end result!




3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! My theme next year is going to be "trash to treasure," so I may borrow some of your lovely ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I love your representation of our precious Earth! So important to teach to the next generation!
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete