Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lions, Zebras, Giraffes and Elephants







 I got the giraffe and zebra idea here http://josettebrouwer.edublogs.org/2011/01/15/second-grade-giraffes/ and here http://marymaking.blogspot.com/2010/03/zebra-and-giraffe-safari-portraits.html then added to it for my other grades. Here is how I broke it down.. Ist grade made lions, 3rd grade made Giraffes, 4th grade made zebras and 5th grade made elephants. We did a practice drawing first then right into painting for 3rd and 4th.  My 5th grade folded a 12 x 18 pc of paper into 6 squares and practiced drawing an elephant. The 1st graders were given a circle to trace and then fill in w/ brown paint. We added the torn paper for the mane and the following week added the other details.  Below you will see some of the hand outs I used. I also showed videos and photographs of the animals to show the students.  I was really please with elephants. I asked them to pretend they had a camera and they were going to show how tight they zoomed in on the elephant. Would it be a frontal or profile view? Would we see the entire body and head or only a close up of the face? The results were amazing!

1 comment: