Friday, January 6, 2012

Beading for a great cause!

























I could make up some new years resolution about being a more consist blogger but the truth is there are just not enough hours in the day! I will try to do better is all I can say : /. Now onto that GREAT cause.... have you heard of Portableplayhouse.org (http://www.theportableplayhouse.org/about-2/ )??? This is an amazing organization that has volunteers that go into hospitals all over the country to make bracelets and necklaces (for free) with long term and terminally ill patients. I was so inspired by this organization that I called the founder Mary Ann to see how I could get involved.  I came up with the idea of hosting a beading event at my school. This would help to raise money for the organization, bring families together, promote the arts!  The beads that Mary Ann gets are glass beads (see pic above).. they are beautiful! At our school event we will be making either bracelets or key chains (she has wooden beads that will be great for the boys). The cost will be $5 per bracelet or key chain and ALL the profits go to the organization.  Mary Ann and her husband will be coming on Feb. 8th to our school. The event will be from 6-8pm and it is a drop in activity..meaning it will only take about 1/2 hour to make the item, but students will pre pay so we know how many are coming.  I am so excited for the our event "Families Beading for Love".  I will let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Greetings From Southern California

    I Am Your Newest Follower

    Have A Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This program also sounds similar to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) which my school has a huge part in. So glad to see other programs like that!

    ReplyDelete