Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nightmare Before Christmas

Let me start by saying that I have not tried this lesson yet, but it is in the works to start this week. Another side note..credit where credit is due..i got this from another art teacher in my district...so here is goes

This lesson is a great example of a living artist, writer and film maker. Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas has that oh so creepy by fun main character Jack Skellington. In this lesson the students will draw a closeup of  Jack. In addition students will be able to create a background with movement using only cool or warm colors.
I try to use as much art history as possible and after going to our state art conference I am trying to connect the 21st century skills / "4 C's" to my lessons. With this lesson I will explain how Tim and his team use critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration and creativity and innovation to make the film/ artwork.  I will use the first few minutes of the lesson to use the Promethean Board and go on Tim Burton's website  (hopefully it will not be blocked: /). He has a very cool site, check it out if you get a chance. I previewed it..it gives you a virtual tour through his public and private gallery.  The one on the left is public, not age appropriate for elementary school.  The one to the right was private..you had to give your email to enter. That one seemed better. I think the kids are going to love this lesson! I will report back, let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

  1. So fun! Kids love Tim Burton films (well, so do adults!)- this is a perfect Halloween project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I tried it with my kids but the black part of Jack's tux didn't come out as I expected. What material did you use to make Jack's tux sparkle? Thanks for any feedback!

    ReplyDelete