Sunday, October 3, 2010

3d Paper Iguana

I love this lesson and so do the kids... I have made a template for you -my readers- but I do NOT give one to the class. A picture is worth a thousand words and I thought it would help explain. I do this with 4th grade...
1. Give students at each group or table various tints and shades of 12x 18 green paper. Example-4 students at a table-4 different color greens
2. Fold paper in half lengthwise.
3. Have then draw the iguana (or something like it) on their paper. Be sure to remind them to have the open side near their stomach when they draw or they will have 2 halves of an iguana
: (. I usually do a step by step drawing on the board while they draw along with me. I don't do a template or hand out because I like when they all come out a little different.
4. At this point I walk around making sure before they cut that the iguana takes up the entire paper and that they drew it with the fold on the correct side.
5. Have them cut out their iguana.
6.Glue the center strips together so the paper becomes 3-d
7. This is the fun part...using each others scraps from when they cut they add details to their iguana. The iguanas will have two tails I have them cut one off-some want to keep the two -who am I to argue.
8. I let them use black sharpe for details.
This is one of those lessons that really needs more then the 45 minutes, but is a little short for 2 classes. Here is that template I mentioned along with some samples of the students work....
.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea to get out of the 2D realm in paper and move to the 3D! I might use this in 2nd grade when we do 2 months of 3D work in our curriculum. Thanks so much f or your ideas. Feel free to check out my blog, too!
    -Jessica
    The ART of Education

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this! Joseph has an obsession with alligators (did you know that?). I could totally turn this into an alligator and use this as a craft for an alligator bday for him. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I linked to my blog:
    http://artteacherscloset.blogspot.com/
    to show an alternative to my own 3D paper iguana. I love how you displayed them on the wall!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.


    Look into my homepage ... kanapy z funkcja spania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against
    hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.

    Any suggestions?

    Here is my weblog :: kanapy z funkcją spania

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been browsing online greater than 3 hours lately, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will be much more helpful than ever before.

    my blog tusze

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this website; this web site consists of remarkable and truly good material in favor of readers.

    Here is my webpage ... tusze

    ReplyDelete